Search This Blog

Thursday 8 March 2018

Animal Finger Puppets with Templates



Hello everyone!

I know I haven’t been doing justice to this blog. But I am going to make up for it with this post which has a free gift for all who are interested!




I had posted a DIY video to make animal finger puppets on my YouTube channel. Link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Sw_zQE2TU&t=4s if you haven’t seen the video.

The video is pretty straight forward explaining how to make these finger puppets. The basic steps would be making templates (or using pre-existing templates), drawing the design from the template on to felt (two layers of felt), stitching the edges of the finger puppets and adding any details needed on the top layer.

This post is a follow up to the video. I thought I should do something special for my followers. I have made templates for the 8 animals shared in my video.

The pictures below are self-explanatory to explain the parts of the templates for each animal. The documents that needs printing itself doesn’t have any labeling and you would need to look at the pictures if you need any assistance and explanation. Following this, look at the instructions from the video and you can make your own finger puppets.










The templates from the document below are scaled in such a way that they can be worn on the finger of the adult as well as a child. This is because it is aimed at being used in a situation where the speech therapist or parent is playing with the child in a therapy session or at home. I have made the finger puppets with similar scaling for some of the sensory books I have made and used them in therapy with young children. I can assure you that they are not too big such that they would fall off their fingers. The picture below is taken from the hand of a 6 year old child. I have also used these finger puppets with 2 and 3 year olds.




Do you want to try making these finger puppets. All you need is some felt of different colors and some needle and threads. If you do not have access to the googly eyes like I have used, you can always draw the eyes with a black marker or pen. And I don't think you need the exact same colors of felt as I have used. Some variations should be acceptable. Download the templates by clicking on the link below.

To download, 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QF8ghbSiiGRABPjji7bXriOJnlolcx07/view?usp=sharing

It would also be a really fun activity to do with your kids. Depending on their age, they might need some little assistance in the steps. But surely, they will enjoy playing with these finger puppets more so if they have been involved in the process of making them.

I have tried my best to scale these templates correctly. In case of any discrepancies (if the smaller parts are slightly bigger than the main parts- as this is my first experience making templates), you will only need to trim a bit of the edges. Or else, you can trim the outline of the smaller parts from the main part.

Also, a small note to everyone. When you are going to print the PDF document, make sure you do so in the actual size and not fit to page (see picture below).

I hope you like my idea of sharing templates with you. Comment down below if you do. If I get enough encouragement, I might be tempted to make more templates of other finger puppets I have made (if you are curious to know which ones check out from my pages below).

If you want to see more of my work, check out my pages from the links below.

I would really appreciate it if you like my page on Facebook and subscribe to my channel on Youtube. Thanks and lots of love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment